Sunday, January 18, 2015

I'm a terrible blogger

Look at that. I've gone years, YEARS without blogging. At one time I thought I would start a new thing, put all my thoughts on paper, amaze and amuse those who stumble across my rants here on the internet. Well, I have disappointed. I suck.

Nevertheless, hope springs eternal. My resolution this year is to put pen to paper and write. Again. For real. No, seriously.

It's not like I haven't been writing. In the past few years I wrote a research proposal for my Doc. program, which I never rewrote - long story; I will blog about THAT later. I've written a business plan, which believe me, was totally out of my wheelhouse. And I've written many, many small notes, memos, policies, and newsletter articles. Those count, right? They're just not usually blog material.

Well to satisfy my sudden deep need to have something current here on this blog, here is a reprint of a newsletter article I wrote back in August of this year, intended for the parents at the child care center I now direct (uh, that directing my have something to do with my lack of blogging).

I got nice comments about it. I hope you enjoy.

September 2014

About a month ago in August my husband and I dropped off our daughter at the UNM campus to begin her freshman year as a college student. On the days leading up to the big event she was excited and anxious to see what new things were in store for her. She wondered who her roommate was going to be and if they would have anything in common. She wondered if she would meet new people, make new friends and what her classes were going to be like. She was enthusiastic and prepared. Once we got there, moved her all in to her dorm, and prepared to leave, I could tell she was starting to get a little nervous. As we drove away, I watched her eyes, big as saucers, and worried.
I waved good bye with a lump in my throat and a funny feeling in my tummy. Watching your child deal with something new is not easy. But at the same time I knew this was an important and exciting time in her life, and that she would grow and learn from it.

As I drove away, I couldn't help but think of you all, our parents at the CFDC. When you bring your baby, toddler, or preschooler to us, it’s a similar situation. Whether they are new to the CFDC, or returning after the summer, they will be wondering the same things as my daughter. Will I know anybody? Will I have friends? Will I feel safe? And you, as parents will also be excited for your child, but at the same time, perhaps apprehensive. In fact, I’ll bet that you had the same butterflies in your stomach when you dropped your child off at the CFDC for the first time, as I did dropping my daughter off in Albuquerque.

Parenthood is really a series of goodbyes. And while that may sound sad, it’s actually a good thing. As your child gets older they grow and mature and are able to take on new people, places and things. This is what we want for our kids, to be ready to face the world. Know that here at the CFDC, we take your trust in us very seriously, and we pledge to hold your precious child carefully during their time here.


Epilogue; my daughter is loving school. She doesn't even want to come home! I know she still needs us and that she will always find her way back, but I’m proud that she’s taken the next step to becoming a competent, kind adult. Looking around the CFDC, I see children also making transitions, experiencing and embracing new people, places and things. You should be proud as you watch your child grow!

No comments:

Post a Comment